School Bus Accidents and Lawsuits Involving Children

                By on January 12th, 2018 in Accident News

If You’ve Been Injured in a Police Cruiser Accident, Who is Liable?
January 11, 2018
Icy Roads (and Possible Accidents) Coming to Lancaster County
January 13, 2018

Early this morning, a school bus carrying students crashed into a house in east Earl Township. The bus, which was part of a Lancaster County School, was carrying only two students when it struck the home. Luckily, there were no reported injuries in the accident. But what would have happened if the children inside had been injured? What steps could their parents have taken to receive compensation for their injuries?

When Your Child is Injured

lawsuits involving childrenWhat do you do when a minor, or a child under the age of 18, is injured in an accident? In general, a child has the right to compensation for things like pain and suffering, permanent injury, or disability – just as an adult has. Parents also have a right to be compensated for things like medical bills that they had to pay out of pocket for their child. Because children are too young to negotiate a claim, a parent is permitted to negotiate on their behalf.

Luckily, these cases are known to be a bit simpler than a case with an adult. Generally, a parent gets approval from a judge in lawsuits involving children, before the claim is settled. No matter what, you will have to talk to an attorney about your child’s case and help them get the compensation they deserve, because a child is not permitted to bring their own case. Furthermore, you only have a certain amount of time known as the statute of limitations to bring your case. Luckily, this statute of limitations is extended for children because of the severity of their accidents. In many states, in fact, it is put on hold until the child turns 20.

Every day, children are involved in accidents that are the fault of another party. It is important to know your rights as well as your child’s rights when it comes to compensating for their losses in lawsuits involving children. We can help you in your time of need. At Edelstein Martin & Nelson, we have experience with a wide variety of cases. Call us today at 888-208-1810.