Philadelphia Construction Accident Lawyers Represent Construction Site Accident Victims
Construction Site Injuries Caused By Falling Objects
Construction sites can create dangerous conditions for individuals working at the site, visitors to the site and even pedestrians. Some of the most serious physical injuries at construction sites, including paralysis, traumatic brain injury and death, are a result of falling objects or debris. The most common type of objects which fall from above at construction sites are handheld tools, loose masonry, loose concrete and unsecured loads from cranes or mechanical lifts.
Injuries to Construction Workers
For construction workers, the risk of being struck by falling objects or other debris and suffering construction site injuries is substantial. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) statistics, almost 10% of fatal construction injuries result from a worker being struck by a falling object. In 2012, 78 construction workers died as a result of being struck by falling objects or debris.
Injuries to Pedestrians by Falling Objects
Typical accidents involving pedestrians being struck by falling objects or debris from a construction site result when:
- Pedestrians walk on sidewalks directly in front of active construction sites
- Pedestrians are too close to the construction site due to lack of barricades
- Pedestrians obtain access to unsecured construction sites off hours
- Pedestrians visit construction sites for inspection purposes but fail to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment such as a hard hat
Negligence and Injuries Caused by Falling Objects or Debris
Construction companies and construction site owners have an obligation to keep construction sites safe. When a construction site is not safely maintained construction accidents and injuries may be the result of negligence. The negligence of construction companies, subcontractors and site owners can create dangerous conditions for workers, visitors to construction sites and other pedestrians. The most common examples of negligence which results in falling objects or debris at construction sites include:
- Failure to use barricades to limit access to construction sites
- Failure to post adequate warning signs at construction sites
- Failure of workers or site visitors to wear personal protective equipment such as hard hats, safety googles, safety glasses or face shields
- Failure to adequately secure construction sites (including locking sites at night)
- Failure to properly inspect construction equipment
- Failure of workers to properly secure hand held tools
- Failure to properly secure materials on hooks and cords while using cranes and other hoists
- Failure to properly train workers on the proper use of equipment and machinery
- Failure to use safety devices when appropriate to prevent falling objects and debris (including shore and brace structures, tool guards, debris nets, toe boards and catch platforms)
Philadelphia Construction Accident Lawyers at Edelstein Martin & Nelson, LLP Fight to Obtain Compensation for Individuals Injured by Falling Objects
Individuals injured by falling objects at a construction site may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. The Philadelphia construction accident lawyers at Edelstein Martin & Nelson, LLP can assist you with a potential personal injury claim for your injuries. Our experienced Philadelphia personal injury lawyers will evaluate your claim and help you to identify all potentially responsible parties. With offices conveniently located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Wilmington, Delaware, we serve clients throughout both states. Call us today at (215) 731-9900 or contact us online to set up a free consultation with one of our skilled construction accident lawyers in Philadelphia.